11.28.2006

The Witching Hour

Dinner time. I don't know if it is the same for other moms, but by far it is the most challenging time of day for me.

As I open the door to my office at 5:30, I'm in immediate demand. "I want to HAVE you," is Jack's latest and Jenna follows. With a kid on each leg, I make it to the family room. They are typically energetic and want my attention, literally pulling me in their direction. It's at this point that I wish I had a commute to switch gears and at the same time, my mind is racing somewhere else... what am I going to do for dinner!

I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Luckilly, Zulma does a great job of feeding the kids a late afternoon snack so they're energetic and not grumpy. Yes, I do count my blessings and she is one of them. But what to do about dinner?

I need to be more organized. I realize that it all starts on the weekend when I really don't feel like going to the grocery store and planning 5 dinners, lunches, breakfasts and snacks for the week. I've tried the "DinnerTime" meals and though I liked it unfortunately my family is a bit too picky to take advantage of their menus.

So I have a new plan. I just signed up for "Saving Dinner" for weekly online menus complete with organized shopping lists. In addition to that, I think I'm going to try online grocery shopping again. That takes quite a bit of set-up and discipline for a spontaneous-oriented shopper like me (ooh, that looks good, maybe some of that...), but once I get it set up, I think it will be much easier. Click, click, click: done. If I can simplify it enough to make it routine to have everything I need to cook fabulous meals, I'll be set.

Sounds good, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. My first menus come tomorrow; this weekend will be the big test.... Until then...

Can we order out?

: )

4 comments:

WalkerChick said...

What did you decide to do about this???

Donna said...

Update: I was able to refine my Albertsons.com page and set up all my regular shopping and a weeks worth of menus. Everything came flawlessly. There were a few things that I had forgotten, so I picked those up at the store, but added them to the site for next time.

As for Saving Dinner, I like the menus and will try the new set that came this week. I haven't looked at them though... I'll post more as I keep feeling my way through...

Donna said...

Though I need to modify the weekly recipes, the email menus are working well. It is a pleasure to have creative new ideas for dinner and makes it much more enjoyable for me and for John!! Even the kids enjoy some of them...

Donna said...

Though I need to modify the weekly recipes, the email menus are working well. It is a pleasure to have creative new ideas for dinner and makes it much more enjoyable for me and for John!! Even the kids enjoy some of them...