11.12.2006

Where is Bonn?

The other morning, Jack woke up convinced that his friend Bonn had come over to play and was somewhere in the house. He looked in every room, out the window, in closets -- he looked everywhere for Bonn.

I asked him if he had a dream about Bonn coming over and he said yes. But even that realization didn't slow him down. Bonn was somewhere and needed to be found.

I was finally able to divert his attention, but the experience got me thinking: When is it that we learn that dreams and "reality" are separate? What is it that makes them separate? Are they really separate? Heck, should I be looking for Bonn?

I'm one of the first people ready to question the "realness" of "reality" but the truth is, Bonn wasn't here (at least as far as I could tell).

I'm fascinated by what it is that makes that dream a dream and what would make a it a real, sharable experience. There's lots written about the topic, even complex scientific theories. Some say that we're all dreaming and that there is nothing "real" at all. How many people would it take believing Bonn was here to have had Bonn actually be here?

It's the kind of question that keeps me thinking and keeps me wondering. In the meantime, Jack has forgotten about Bonn and is on to the next idea. But I can tell already that he will be one that keeps me on my toes.

No comments: