11.23.2006

Thank you for the food we eat...

There are so many things to be thankful for, and thanksgiving is a wonderful day to consciously appreciate them. A friend of mine put it well, "Thanksgiving is the only significant holiday where there is nothing more to do than be with family and friends, eat and watch football. What can be better than that?"

Well, I didn't do much football, but spending the day with family and enjoying a delicious meal was delightful. And since the kids are old enough to entertain themselves -- the first year in 6 that that has been true--it was actually relaxing too.

One of my fundamental operating principles is that the purpose of life is joy. And the best way to fulfill that purpose is to look for things to appreciate and be thankful for. So here is a short list (I'll limit to 10 here for the sake of space) that I'm thankful for tonight:

  1. Family. I appreciate the love and wellbeing and support that comes from my husband, children, parents, brother, in-laws (two sisters and parents), grandmother and extended family.
  2. John. He may be family, but I am especially appreciative of John and the friendship and love that we share. He is truly my best friend and I am thankful for being in a relationship with someone that supports me, loves me, creates with me and is also a strong leader who inspires me to new things every day.
  3. Friends. I love having friends that I enjoy and trust am so grateful for the support and inspiration and fun that we create together. I am looking forward to having more unstructured time to spend chatting and playing and love knowing that the time will come again. For now, knowing that I have a group of people that I care so much about and can trust enough to be just me is wonderful.
  4. Health. I am so appreciative of my vitality and I love feeling good. I love to move and stretch and breathe deeply. I am so appreciative that my family is healthy and happy.
  5. Freedom. I love that I am free. Free to think and imagine and create anything at all. I love that I live in a wonderful place where personal freedom is protected and where individuals are encouraged to think for themselves.
  6. Work. I love having inspiring work that calls me to create and a network of talented, intelligent people to create with in an environment that I enjoy.
  7. Home. I love my home. I love that I have a comfortable roof over my head that feels warm and welcoming. I love being at home and the revitalization that it gives me.
  8. Music. Particularly my own personal music on my iPod. I love that I have ready access to music I love and can expand the library whenever I choose, organize and select the music I want to hear and have it all at my fingertips.
  9. Online shopping! As we head into the busy shopping season, I love that I can easily access the things that I want to purchase online and save the shopping trips for days that are more enjoyable.
  10. Spas. This deserves a whole post of its own, but I am so appreciative that there are places where rejuvination is what it's all about. I love the inspiration, creativity, caring and imagination that makes spas a truly magical place to be. I love that I have easy access to some of the most wonderful spas in the world, right in my own backyard.
Now my mind is turning with more things that I'm so appreciative of. Icould go on and on, but will take the rest offline.

I noticed when I wrote about health that I had a twinge of sadness for my friends who are not experiencing optimal health right now. I send love and light to them with the intention that they have peace in their hearts and can relax and feel the best that they can feel, knowing that no matter what the circumstances, all is well.

I'll end with the poem that my daughter had to memorize for kindergarten:

Thank you for the world so sweet
Thank you for the food we eat
Thank you for the birds that sing
Thank you God for everything.

No comments: