1.16.2007

Rock Castles

I love the desert.

We recently returned from a camping trip with the kids. It was our first to the desert since we were married -- my first, really, in probably 15 years.

I grew up going to the desert. The draw for the crowd then, as now, was motorcycle riding and playing with other recreational vehicles. But the draw for me is the desert. The expanse of quiet space, stretching from the earth up into the stars of the sky, touches me deeply. Even with the buzz of RV generators and motors whizzing by, I get that feeling of peace and belonging.

I love watching the campfire dance, the sun rise in the east. I love the stars. As a mom, I love watching the kids discover the desert for themselves. That's what Jack and I did. We discovered the wonder of building rock castles.

As an eager 2-year old, Jack wants to be just like his big sister and just like his daddy. He wants it all and he wants it now! After an episode of Jack being the epitome of a little brother, I decided to distract him into something new -- gathering rocks in his dump truck to build a rock castle.

What fun it was! We set out together to find the perfect rocks, piling them high into the yellow Tonka truck. We found our own rhythm, and were so connected to each other with hardly a sound. The world disappeared as Jack and I played, gathered and built the perfect rock castle. Filling and dumping, filling and dumping.

I should have taken a photo. It looked like a pile of rocks. But I know that each rock had a particular place and each rock was especially chosen to be in the castle. Not all rocks were selected.

As we left, I asked Jack to choose his favorite rock to bring home and now it sits in our family room, reminding me of the magic of the desert.

I'm looking forward to building more rock castles.

1 comment:

WalkerChick said...

This was fantastic, Donna... I, too, especially enjoyed being in the desert... I loved the expanse of the place... I loved seeing the stars... I loved watching the flames dance in the campfire... I loved watching the kids go far from us, yet still being able to see them... That is a freedom we can never give them at home... As I was putting my scarf away the other day, I caught a whiff of the campfire and wanted to be back there.... We'll have to do that again soon! :)