1.28.2007

Flutter By, Butterfly

My friend Mary died today after a two year battle with cancer. She was 40 years old. This photo was taken in March 1995, two months after her initial diagnosis and first surgery.

The last time I spoke with her was a little over a week ago. I asked her if she was scared, she said she really wasn't. She said that she had decided that everything had a reason and she was sticking to her story. We talked about connecting after she died and laughed that she would be a really tenacious butterfly, determined to land on my head.

I wanted to go into the backyard today and just sit and relax, to wait for a butterfly, but for some reason, I wasn't ready. I let myself stay busy instead. It's funny, I know that Mary is in such a better place now. She is free! I truly am happy for her! I guess I let myself feel sorry for me today. Not really an extraordinary way to be.

I must say, when I did connect with a few friends about Mary, we all shared the same relief that she was finally free. I think that people really do know that there is no need to fear death. That there really is no death, just a change of scenery.

Flutter by, sweet butterfly. I will miss you, Mary.

No comments: