1.02.2007

Dead Presidents

I don't have anything personal against President Ford -- he's the first President that I was fully aware of since I had just turned six when he took office.

But a day of mourning? I truly mean no disrespect, but ... seriously! No trash pickup or mail or Wall Street? And right after the New Year's holiday? It seems to me that everyone just wanted an extra day off.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, either. I just wish I had a little advance notice. For me it was back to business as usual. I wanted the mail to go out. I wonder how many people who took the day off today are mourning and how many are just enjoying an extended holiday weekend? Maybe I'm just jealous.

Or maybe I'm just too used to a 24/7 world and we actually need more of this sort of thing. Maybe more people would wait their turn, write thank-you notes and smile when they pass by if we had more random holidays. If that is the case, I'm all for it.

4 comments:

Ranni said...

I think that we need this 'day of mourning' to show how respectful we should be of the President. I'm not a Bush fan by anymeans. It wasn't until I heard myself call him an ugly name outloud that I had to step back and think. It's so easy to get caught up in politcal scandel and we sometimes forget the importance of, well, a lot of things really. Maybe this is a reach but we, as a people, need to relearn respect and how to better prioritize our lives. That's what I get from the 'day of mourning'.

Donna said...

Good point. It is so easy to get caught up in our own little worlds that something like a "Day of Mourning" took me by surprise. I agree that relearning respect and prioritizing our lives in a deliberate way are important things for us to consider. Thanks for the comment!

Unknown said...

I totally blogged this one as well.... Glad to know that I wasn't the only one... :)

Donna said...

My original blog here was not extraordinary. I feel like deleting it! But I will keep it as an example of the mistakes we all make. Extraordinary would be finding the place of appreciation and honor within myself even when I feel frustrated. I commit to that now.