10.22.2006

Planned Parenting

John is on his annual hunting trip in South Dakota, so it's me and the kids. We all miss him and the kids just love it when he calls. Jack still thinks Daddy is at the airport, since that's where he dropped him off. It's pretty cute when I tell people that John's in South Dakota and Jack says, "No, mama! Daddy is at the airport!"

I've had to change up some routines to juggle two solo, but it's been interesting to try new things and learn. The last few days, I've been avidly pre-planning critical parenting times and it's been working!

Sometimes I forget to visualize what I want out of ordinary day-to-day life. But with John gone, that upped the ante on having smooth mornings and evenings especially. I've been imagining everyone happy, choosing clothes that they love, eating their meals without complaint, being healthy and happy. At night as I put them in bed, I've been imaginging their angelic little faces as they sleep.

Everything has been so smoothly! We've been early to school and activities. Jack even wore a non-orange shirt today (he is very particular!) without any fuss at all. Meals have been a breeze. And both kids have gone to sleep in their own beds easily, right on time. I'm going to have to keep this up even when John's back!

What other "ordinary" things can I visualize over the next few days?

1 comment:

WalkerChick said...

I'm glad that it's going well with John gone... Tyler has been in mostly wonderful moods, eating like a champ, and actually being sociable to everybody we've been with!! I was especially nervous about yesterday (since it was the anniversary of my mom's passing) and Tyler's sunny personality really helped to ease the pain of the day... That said, I will be thrilled when Mark comes home and I don't feel like I am the only person responsible for absolutely everything... There are decisions to be made and while I feel like if he was home, I would definitely consult him on stuff, but he's not, so I am stepping up. We're definitely counting down the days, and tomorrow we'll be over the hump!