10.26.2006

Plain Vanilla

My 20th reunion is this Saturday. It's being held in my old high-school gym -- how's that for ordinary!

But maybe ordinary isn't all bad. I'm sure not the one to make that call. I mean, how can you help but face your 20-year reunion with a "what have I accomplished since high school" question. At least a fleeting one.

Can I play the piano? No. Dance a waltz? No. Speak another language? No (except the Spanish that Dora the Explorer has taught me). Have I traveled the world? No. Made a million bucks? No. Run a marathon? No. What's my hobby? Uh, I don't know... Heck, I'm even sure to lose a game of trivial pursuit.

I guess I'm a bit more plain vanilla than that. But you know what? I like vanilla! And when I look at my wonderful family and how much I enjoy the day-to-day experiences of my life, who cares about whether it registers as extraordinary or just plain vanilla.

Here's some things I CAN do (and I sure hope this list is not exhaustive, that would be sad!):
  • Make a jammin' PBJ sandwich
  • Take a decent photo
  • Shine my sink
  • Bring home the bacon... : )
  • Downward dog
  • Give a pretty good massage
  • Make the best of just about anything
  • Ice skate (I'm learning, anyway!)
  • Soothe an owie
  • Stay calm in a (tantrum) storm
  • Juggle, theoretically at least
  • ... but wait, there's more! (I'm just done writing for now)

Yes, I do like plain vanilla. And every once in a while it's fun to add a drizzle of sauce, whipped cream and a cherry on top. But the best part is still the ice cream. Plain and simple.

2 comments:

WalkerChick said...

A "rocky road" kind of girl like me has a lot to learn from a "plain vanilla" kind of girl like you! First off, let me say that I greatly admire your "calm within the (tantrum) storm... I have seen that firsthand, and I admire it... And, you may not have run a marathon, but you've given birth TWICE, and once without the benefit of drugs! Soooo.... I think you've been through just as much, if not MORE, than running a marathon! :) I think that you have every right to walk into that reunion with your head up high and be proud of all of those accomplishments you've listed.... Being a loving wife, mother, sister, daughter, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, aunt, and friend, is an accomplishment that many will never achieve... Love you...

Anonymous said...

do you realize that vanilla is the cornerstone for all that is good in the ice cream world and beyond????