7.11.2007

Greed

Maybe I am just in a cynical mood. I would never describe myself as that -- but it is true I am slow to throw my heart into an organization, cause or ideology. For most things, the closest can get myself is an arms-length distance.

So the news today about Whole Foods was sad, as it confirmed that my caution is well-founded.

Is all business about greed?

Of course not. Motivation by desire is natural but greed might be defined as amped up desire combined with a disregard for others for personal gain. Amped up desire is a motivator; but it does not have to deteriorate into deceit. I refuse to give up on my belief that people can have integrity and great desire. It does not have to be about greed.

Integrity is the real issue. Check out Whole Foods' Core Values. Did I read this correctly?

Integrity In All Business Dealings
Our trade partners are our allies in serving our stakeholders. We treat them with respect, fairness and integrity at all times and expect the same in return.
Not only that, but the company was actually voted one of the best places to work in 2007.

Why does this bother me so much? I guess I expected more from a company that "sells" itself on values. I guess I can't believe how lame a mistake the CEO made. Check out the FAQ: he seriously just thought that was normal for a CEO to cloak his identity and hype his stock? I wonder if the "everyone does it" argument will hold up in court if it ends up going that far.

I don't shop at Whole Foods. If I did, I would now stop. I'm blessed with a small, local market that I love. I guess I can get off my tirade now. Back to business at a safe arm's length distance.

1 comment:

Angel The Alien said...

That is weird. My little brother used to work at Whole Foods in Chicago and later worked at Wild Oats in Utah. He thought they really were the same store, they had such similar products and even a very similar logo! He's kind of a conspiracy theorist, but he showed me on the websites one day how he thought they were already owned by the same company. Maybe he's psychic!